Click here for our brochure!
Hill's Gardens is a fourth-generation, family-owned and operated greenhouse grower and retailer.
Hill's Gardens was founded in the early 1900's when Fred Hill began farming and selling his produce around town from his truck. He went into the truck farming business with Fred Raben. (Visit the history wall in our retail store to see a photo of Fred in his Sampson truck ready for deliveries.)
Fred and Violet Hill had four children. The Hill family grew and the children helped farm the land. Their only son, Charles Daniel (Dan or C. Dan) ran the business after his father passed away from the mid-1930's on.
Dan and his new wife Ethel (Highby) continued the family business and started a roadside market in the late 1930's. The roadside stand grew, eventually adding more plants and vegetables for sale in addition to the produce. They added the first retail greenhouse in the early 1950's. (see photo below)
Dan & Ethel's four children grew up helping and working as the generation before them. The business was incorporated in 1969. Eventually their middle son Paul & his wife Judy Hill bought the business from his father in 1977. They continued to grow and run the business. At one point Hill's offered a full cemetery urn service which lasted almost 30 years. There were many upgrades and additions to the original retail structure. Hill's storefront in the late 1990's is pictured below.
In 2004 a major demolition and rebuilding from the ground up took place in two stages. First the new retail greenhouses were rebuilt, followed by the new retail store. Pictured below are the new retail store and greenhouses completed by spring 2006 when we held a grand re-opening...same place, new space! Now customers have more room to shop and more selection to choose from. However, our main focus has always been and continues to be, growing and retailing quality.